In 1906, Colbert Coldwell, a young real estate agent, observed families trying to piece their lives together following the San Francisco earthquake. Disapproving of agents who acquired property from vulnerable sellers and resold it at huge profits, and seeing a tremendous need for honest, knowledgeable real estate people, Colbert Coldwell founded his company with a revolutionary philosophy: the customer's best interest above all others. In 1914, Benjamin Arthur Banker joined Colbert Coldwell as a full partner. Together, Coldwell and Banker forged a tradition of integrity, exceptional service and customer satisfaction that became the company's hallmark.
"Sales strategies and management decisions should always reflect what is in the best interest of the client. If the client is well served, and the service has been fairly and competitively priced, the long term profitability of the business will be assured." ------ Colbert Coldwell
Coldwell Banker First Equity has gone through many changes since it was first organized as First Equity, REALTORS® on July 1, 1966 by Franklin A. Jeffers, J.D. "Dan" Boston, R.T. "Bob" Sims, and John L. Ketler. During its existence, the Company has engaged in nearly every aspect of the Amarillo real estate industry including commercial and residential construction, property management, land development, casualty insurance brokerage, title insurance (predecessor to Chicago Title Co.), and mortgage brokerage services. Over time, the Company has narrowed its focus to commercial and residential brokerage services.
Since 1966, First Equity has been the leading full service real estate brokerage company in Amarillo. From four (4) agents in 1966, the Company has grown to approximately fifty-five (55) agents. In its earliest years, First Equity, REALTORS® was primarily a commercial real estate brokerage operation and has participated in numerous notable real estate transactions that have shaped the growth of Amarillo, including: Chase Tower (originally the American National Bank/SPS tower), Westgate Mall, The Ambassador Hotel (originally the Sheraton Hotel), 1800 Washington, several Amarillo subdivisions (Lawndale, Oakdale, Westcliff Park, parts of Sleepyhollow), and numerous other office/retail/multi-family projects in the city.
The founding brokers developed and built-out the Lawndale and Oakdale subdivisions (approximately 1,200 homes), thus laying the foundation for Amarillo's premier residential brokerage company. Over our history, our residential agents have participated in literally thousands of residential sales in Amarillo and the surrounding area, representing generations of home buyers and sellers.
In 1978 First Equity, REALTORS® entered a franchise agreement with Better Homes and Gardens. The Company was a BH&G franchisee until April 1982 when it affiliated with Coldwell Banker, the nation's oldest national real estate company founded in 1906. That affiliation has proved mutually beneficial to both Coldwell Banker and the agents and clients of First Equity.
Coldwell Banker and First Equity were founded on the shared values of integrity, ethical conduct, professionalism, and commitment to the best interests of our clients. These values remain the basis for our way of doing business as no fee is worth compromising those principles.
Coldwell Banker First Equity is committed to providing the highest quality real estate brokerage services to our clients and customers, maintaining a business environment that enables our Sales Associates and Employees to reach their financial, professional, and personal goals; furthering our reputation for honesty and integrity; and honoring God in all relationships.