Property Damage by Wind and Hail Main Photo

Property Damage by Wind and Hail

Ensure you're using a licensed contractor when assessing hail and wind damage at your property.
Posted: March 25, 2019 by John Moore

Damaging wind and hail storms may have you wondering what the next steps should be.  While some wind and hail damage may be obvious, other roof damage may not be easy to see, especially if the adhesive seal that provides a water-shedding surface is broken.


We encourage you to completely assess the damage by contacting a qualified contractor before filing an insurance claim.

It is always a good idea to get multiple bids and compare prices and when you do decide on a company make sure you have a written contract that states the work to be done, the materials to be used, and the price breakdown for both labor and materials. Review it carefully before signing and never sign a blank contract, avoid paying cash, and do not pay for all repairs in advance.


When contracting for repairs, be sure that you are dealing with a reputable company. Here are a few safeguards to consider when choosing a company

·      Make sure the contractor is registered with the Building Safety department of the City of Amarillo by calling (806) 378-3041 or by reviewing their list of contractors. In order for a roofer to be licensed by the City, they are required to be bonded and insured

·      The Texas Panhandle Roofing Contractors Association (TPRCA) was founded to protect consumers against fraud and to educate them about liability and acceptable standards of workmanship. To find out more about them and their members go to

·       You can check for customer service, complaints, and review the contractor’s history with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). You may do this by calling (806) 379-6222 or visiting the BBB at




Loading Comments
Real Estate Links Our Domains